Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: AG Patterns- sewing question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Monika's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2003
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I've been looking at e-bay and have noticed that AG made patterns for each of the girls, now for the questions:

    How old are they?
    Which girls are they for?
    How hard are they?
    Where might one find them other than e-bay?
    How much did they originally sell for?

    Has anyone on this board used these with any luck? I'd love to here from you.

    Thank you all for looking & responding. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Lametta's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 21st, 2002
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would really like to get the patterns, too! Kirsten's and Felicity's are the most interesting to me--I bid on ebay for several a couple months ago, but they ended up at outrageous prices (Kirsten's school outfit pattern sold for around $40). I've looked in the costume section of the big pattern books, but theirs look so cheesy.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member josephhswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    187
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Monika:
    I've been looking at e-bay and have noticed that AG made patterns for each of the girls, now for the questions:

    How old are they?
    Which girls are they for?
    How hard are they?
    Where might one find them other than e-bay?
    How much did they originally sell for?

    Has anyone on this board used these with any luck? I'd love to here from you.

    Thank you all for looking & responding. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The doll's patterns were in the sale section on the AG website when I bought my daughter's first doll in Sept 2002. I think they clearanced out at $9.95 each but retailed for closer to $20.
    I was able to get Kirsten & Samantha's patterns on ebay for under $15 at that time and I got Felicity's for closer to $20. I thought it was outrageous. I bought Josefina's patterns in November 2003 and was lucky to get them for under $30.
    The patterns were also made for Molly and Addy. I think the major pattern chains (McCalls, Simplicity, Butterick) have patterns for most of Molly's clothes. I haven't studied Addy's clothes that closely to comment.

    I've seen the patterns on half.com which is also owned by ebay, but they were more expensive.

    I've sewn for over 20 years and haven't had any trouble following the patterns. There is a section in each pattern set with "sewing techniques" which is really helpful if you want to give the outfits an authentic look.

    I'm not sure if Samantha's set was worth it because I've seen other patterns that are similar but Kirsten's and Felicity's are definitely unique. Felicity's Christmas Gown tried my patience the most and I finally found a ribbon trim and dyed it to match because folding the ribbons was a major pain.

    I keep all the patterns uncut and in a fire-safe filing box. I traced the patterns so if I lose a piece I can go back and retrace one. I've already had to retrace more than one so I'm glad I thought to keep them that way.

    AG also made patterns for girl-sized outfits to match but these sell for $15 and up and I have always been able to find a dress pattern close enough to satisfy my daughter.

    I also found that the International Wardrobe book for dolls (Joan Hinds is the author, I think) has some Hispanic outfits (Brazil comes to mind) that I used to make some outfits for Josefina. The book was in my local library and I was able to trace the patterns.

    Have fun sewing. Hopefully I haven't bored you with my wordy response.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member JeanieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have an unopened set of Felicity's patterns for sale - my first and only experience with e-Bay found me the "proud" winner of not one, but two simultaneous auctions for the patterns, and of course I was obligated to pay for both.
    The pattern if for Felicity's shift, brocade purse and handkerchief, laced jacket, petticoat and mob cap (her school outfit), Christmas gown and petticoat, pinner cap and two stomachers, and night shift and lappet cap.
    I would be delighted to sell the unopened set for what I paid for it - $25 US - and I'll cover the cost of postage. If you want insurance, I'd ask you to cover that. Let me know!

  5. #5
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Michigan Mom:

    I keep all the patterns uncut and in a fire-safe filing box. I traced the patterns so if I lose a piece I can go back and retrace one. I've already had to retrace more than one so I'm glad I thought to keep them that way.

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dang how smart is that.......to trace them.......I love it!

    SA~

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why not photocopy them. Staples for example makes copies on large size paoer.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Lametta's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 21st, 2002
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jeanie, I think I misunderstood this thread! The patterns I am looking for are the ones AG made for people [img]redface.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Warning for new seamstresses: these patterns are for advanced sewers and were advertised as such when American Girl made and sold them. I've been sewing very seriously for over a year now (boy are my arms tired! [img]wink.gif[/img] ) and still have problems following American Girl patterns. Since the clothes are made to *just* barely fit in the bodice and waist and are a little bit on the fancy side, and even more so because you have to inset Velcro into the sleeve cuffs, they are pretty complicated. I think their instructions are easier to follow than professional patterns (such as the ones available from fabric stores), BUT the piecing together is a little more complicated.

    I made Kirsten's school dress and shawl today, and thought it would be easy as pie since I've been sewing so long, but I still had trouble. It ended up looking okay, but not as good as clothes from patterns I have followed from other companies. That being said, in the hands of an experienced seamstress, clothing made from these patterns rivals American Girl!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    I don't remember American Girl making full-sized patterns for people, though.

    <font color="#020176" size="1">[ February 28, 2004 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Melissa:
    I don't remember American Girl making full-sized patterns for people, though.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I remember seeing quite a bunch of them in various girls' sizes on eBay just after the beginning of the year. I had a lot of "stuff" going on right about that same time, and didn't pay much attention. I sincerely apologize for not bringing them to the attention of this group.
    [img]redface.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are they official patterns? I'm a long-time collector and don't remember there ever being any patterns for girls. My mom would have bought and sewn Molly ones. If they are pre-1989 I would have missed them, though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •